The Life and Works of Rev. Henry O. Sheldon
Sheldon number – S#5124
Born – Hartford, Connecticut, 15 September 1799
Died – Oberlin, Ohio 21 December 1882
Probably the best known among the Sheldons in early Ohio was Reverend Henry Olcott Sheldon (S#5124). He moved from Genoa, in Cayuga County, New York, in 1819. He first settled on a 100-acre farm in Peru Township, about six miles south of Norwalk. He moved from his Peru farm to a residence in Norwalk in 1833; to Berea in 1836; to Roscoe Village in Coshocton County in 1853; to Loudonville, in the southern part of Ashland County, in 1854; to Sidney in Shelby County in 1858; and to Oberlin, Ohio in 1867.
He married three times; first to Ruth Bradley, second to Mrs. Eleanor Robinson and third to Mrs. Pamela Hall. He had seven sons and five daughters, all born to his first wife. Two sons and a daughter died young.
Rev. Henry O. Sheldon was a vigorous, driving man who made things happen. He kept a life-time journal, and these leather-bound volumes are now preserved in the Firelands Museum in Norwalk, Ohio