What is the purpose of the SFA?
The Sheldon Family Association (SFA) is a non-profit organization with about 600 members. It was founded in 1939 to stimulate interest in, and to perpetuate the history of the SHELDON (and SHELDEN) family.
These purposes are met through an annual Reunion Meeting and by the maintenance of an extensive genealogical data file on all branches of the family. This information is being corrected and updated continuously, and is being preserved for posterity. Currently efforts are underway to digitize our source documents.
By means of the Sheldon Family Association Quarterly, members are informed of discoveries in Sheldon lineage research, and date and place of the annual Reunion Meeting. Informative displays and posters are at each annual Reunion, and genealogical assistance will gladly be done for your lines using the SFA genealogy database.
The 77 year old Sheldon Family Association has an ongoing English research project. Members visited England in 1993, visiting many locations where Sheldons lived, seeing Sheldon tapestries in castles, and enjoying the Victoria and Albert Museum. Over the years the Association has paid for research on each of the progenitors in English Records.
Sheldon progenitors are not known to be closely related. However, a DNA project is underway and English Sheldons are conducting research, so someday we may find a connection!
Since July 2006, The Sheldon Family Association has a Sheldon DNA project in conjunction with Family Tree DNA http://www.familytreedna.com email or phone 713-868-1438. Click here for more information.
Hundreds of “Sheldon Places” and locations have been documented as our country grew westward. See Sheldon Places, on our Publications page. We are continually adding new Sheldon (Shelden) information on our Sheldon Family Connections and Links pages. If you have a website with Sheldon-related information, or know of one, please let our webmaster know.
The SFA also has a file of “Unconnected Sheldon Lines” and a database is underway for these Sheldons (Sheldens) and their descendants.
The Sheldon Family Association serves as a central source of information for Sheldon (Shelden) lineage in the United States. Please visit our Sheldon Genealogy pages for more information on our Sheldon lines. The focus of SFA records centers on the genealogy of the five known Colonial Sheldon progenitors:
- Godfrey Sheldon ca.1599-1671 of Bakewell Parish, Derbyshire, England, and Saco and Scarborough, Maine; married Alice Frost. Related families: Alger, Frost, Goodale, Giles, and Scarlett.
- Isaac Sheldon ca.1629-1708 of Ashford, Derbyshire, England, Windsor, Connecticut, and Northampton, Massachusetts; married (1st) Mary Woodford, (2nd) Mrs. Mehitable Gunn.
- John Sheldon ca.1630-1708 of England and Providence and Pawtuxet, Rhode Island; married Joanna Vincent.
- John Sheldon ca.1628-ca.1679 of South Kingstowne, Rhode Island; married Sarah ______.
- Richard Sheldon — Very little is known of Richard. The Sheldon Magazine shows Richard as the sixth child of John Sheldon of Providence, but this has proven to be untrue.